Avid readers are a priceless commodity for writers. I would like to share a recent conversation from some romance fans that I found particularly helpful.
The conversation turned to recent romance reads and the fact that so many of them have things in common, not all of them good. One reader pointed out that it shows a lack of originality and instead of making the book exciting, it makes the book fall flat. So, of course a writer will perk up when they hear that!
Here were some common things they found in recent romance books (some of these I've heard before and some I hadn't):
1. The women were having orgasms with no clitoral stimulation (a smoldering look won't cut it. It's not possible.)
2. The men would have an orgasm and immediately get hard again (where are these men and why haven't I met them?)
3. Every single woman is SO tight! (get to those pelvic exercises girls!)
4. The girl has never had an orgasm before, is a virgin or both (come on! this is 2017!)
5. All penises are HUGE (penises come in all shapes and sizes it's nature)
6. Women have no problems deep throating (with those huge dicks? this is not an easy thing to do, how are all these virgins pulling it off?)
7. The guy hates women, UNTIL he meets the deep throating virgin (he'll always hate women but congrats on the virgin!)
8. Women faint after sex. (I've never read that but the readers insisted they had I think it's funny! Oh my that was so good I passed out!)
9. Billionaires always meet women who don't care a thing about money, even though they have none (where all these women? My billionaire friends want to know, badly!)
10. No one ever farts in bed (I laughed so hard at this one I had to include it)
This was fun and I hope you got a laugh out of it and maybe some good information. I glean a lot of great information from readers groups and highly recommend that you join a readers group in your genre in your area (they are so much better in person). It will give you priceless information that a writer should always have: reader feedback!
I write about: love, fantasy, hate, vampires, jealousy, lust, supernatural, murder, deceit, attraction. And sex.
I write what I like.